Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Pittsburgh Steelers: What I Thought I Knew

Now that my heart rate has recovered from a crazy divisional playoff weekend, it's time to do a little posting. This is going to be a 12-part posting about every team in the playoffs. For each team, I am going to do a little post about what I thought I knew, what I know now, and what I expect. 

What I Thought I Knew Heading into the Playoffs: Steelers

1. Their defense is the best in the NFL, led by their linebackers, the best in the NFL. Post-divisional round analysis: TRUE
Don't let the 24 points San Diego put up on the board fool you. First, Philip Rivers was one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL this season. Second, Darren Sproles was arguably the hottest player in the NFL after his game against Indianapolis. Third, after the Chargers' first drive, where they hit Vincent Jackson over the top for a brilliantly thrown 41 yard completion, the Chargers' offense was completely shut down until the game was out of reach. Rivers got his, but Sproles only finished with 15 yards on the day. As much as it pains me, I will concede that the Harrison-Woodley-Farrior-Foote (pictured, left)-Timmons group is the best position group in the NFL.

2. Pittsburgh has a very underrated group of receivers, and they get open often enough to make Ben's job a little easier. Post-divisional round analysis: TRUE
This is not to slight Ben's performance at all, but one drive to me stands out in particular. It was in the third quarter, when the Chargers desperately needed a stop, and they backed the Steelers into three separate 3rd and 8+ on the same drive. Every time, a Steeler wide receiver threaded his way into the middle of the San Diego zone and made the catches Ben rocketed in there. Hines Ward (pictured, right) is the leader of the group and a possession guy, but both Santonio Holmes and Nate Washington can beat you deep. 

3. Pittsburgh's offensive line woes will come back to haunt them; their lack of production running has been on them, not Willie Parker. Post-divisional round analysis: FALSE
Perhaps I shouldn't be so quick to throne them, but it's hard not to when you look at the game and you saw the lanes that Willie Parker had to run through the entire day. Also, unless I heard mistakenly, Roethlisberger was only hit one time the entire game. Of course, the offensive line has a much harder task ahead of them this Sunday, as they play the second, not the 25th, ranked defense. So far, so good, though, for an oft-maligned group. 

(Photo Credits: AP)

No comments: