Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I've Had Enough

Note before I start on what promises to be a spiteful rant: These views do not necessarily reflect those of my co-host. They may. I don't know. This is all from my (Tony's) heart. However, since Maryland's loss to Morgan State tonight, my feelings about the matter are boiling over. 

Gary Williams needs to leave the University of Maryland. The only reason he's still coaching after last year's debacle is because Steve Bisciotti (the university's biggest booster) is one of his best friends. University of Maryland just so happens to be exclusively about money, so God knows they wouldn't get rid of their primary source of donations.

When does pride become a factor, though?

When does the fact that Maryland is now on pace for 4 NIT berths in 5 seasons start telling the university that they need to get their of their highest paid employee?

When does the fact that the team loses at least one game every year that they have no business losing start getting under boosters' skins enough so that all the other donations stop flowing?

How long will it take him to recruit any of the best players in Maryland? Yea, he got Sean Mosley, but something about the fact that nobody outside of the Maryland knows a single thing about him tells me he's not Kevin Durant. 

When will someone finally realize that not having a big man on the roster that can play adequately is completely unacceptable? Let's remember that James Gist and Bambale Osby were, after all, seniors. Everyone knew they were leaving.

When will Gary learn how to use timeouts? In a close game the entire way, Gary used his last timeout with 4:00 left in the second half. Ridiculous. This isn't the first example that comes to mind either. 

I don't know the answer to any of those questions. The University of Maryland will more than likely continue to let Gary do his thing for as long as Gary wants, because money talks.

I have my answer, though. I've had enough. Gary has had great contributions to this university, but hasn't done anything positive, really, since the national championship. He's never been grateful to the fans (anyone else remember when he called the fans out in the season opener against Bucknell for not being supportive enough?). It's time for him to go. I've had enough. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally agree. Maryland needs an aggressive recruiter; the area is a hotbed of basketball talent that is going to numerous other schools in the country.

Anonymous said...

Greivis Vasquez needs to be pushed in front of a train.

Tony Herman said...

I wish I could agree with you, but without Vasquez the team would only score 40 points a game.