Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Philadelphia Eagles: What I Thought I Knew

Now that my heart rate has recovered from a crazy divisional playoff weekend, it's time to do a little posting. This is going to be a 12-part posting about every team in the playoffs. For each team, I am going to do a little post about what I thought I knew, what I know now, and what I expect. 

What I Thought I Knew Heading into the Playoffs: Eagles

1. Brian Westbrook right now is not healthy enough to be an every-down back. Post-divisional round analysis: TRUE
Over two games so far this postseason, Westbrook (pictured, right) has 38 carries for 74 yards. Now, I will grant you that he played the Minnesota Vikings and the New York Giants, two teams who stop the run brilliantly. Nonetheless, though, Westbrook's explosiveness really hasn't been on display this postseason besides that one fateful screen pass. I'm surprised they haven't worked in Correll Buckhalter more. 

2. Donovan McNabb is on a mission, and when he is, he is one of the three best quarterbacks in football. Post-divisional round analysis: TRUE
Now, the numbers won't blow you away, but as we've learned throughout these playoffs (see Chad Pennington's passer rating vs. Joe Flacco's in that game), numbers don't mean everything. McNabb (pictured, left) has been positively stellar leading his team down the field when they needed to be led down the field so far. His third down passing is superb. He is also showing the mobility - especially in the pocket - that has made him so great this past decade. One example that comes to mind is the 3rd and 20 he converted against the Giants. He dropped back, broke one tackle, scooted forward in the pocket to find a clear throwing lane, and then zipped it to a wide open man downfield. 

3. Brian Dawkins is still considered a good safety based on name recognition only. Post-divisional round analysis: FALSE
No real numbers here, just a sense after watching them play. Dawkins is still everywhere, and he can still hit with the best of them. Dawkins has really stepped up his play this postseason, and is the unquestioned leader in an Eagles secondary that is playing superb right now. 

(Photo Credits: AP)

No comments: