Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Stanley Cup Playoffs Preview

Tomorrow, the fight for the Stanley Cup finally begins. Tomorrow, records are thrown out the window. Tomorrow, the best playoffs in all of sports begins.

Here are my picks, starting with the East:

1 Boston vs. 8 Montreal: 1 Boston
2 Washington vs. 7 New York: 2 Washington
3 New Jersey vs. 6 Carolina: 6 Carolina
4 Pittsburgh vs. 5 Philadelphia: 4 Pittsburgh

As you can see, I'm not predicting many upsets. It's not that I don't think the series will be close, it's that I think the higher-ranked teams - other than New Jersey - will end up taking care of business. My upset is based on the fact that Carolina was so hot down the stretch and Cam Ward was playing like he did when they won the Cup.

Now, for the West:

1 San Jose vs. 8 Anaheim: 1 San Jose
2 Detroit vs. 7 Columbus: 7 Columbus
3 Vancouver vs. 6 St. Louis: 6 St. Louis
4 Chicago vs. 5 Calgary: 4 Chicago

Here, I have two upsets - Columbus and St. Louis. I think Columbus' goaltending is what wins them this series, and I just really like St. Louis. Just a hunch.

Second round, starting in the east:

1 Boston vs. 6 Carolina: 1 Boston
2 Washington vs. 4 Pittsburgh: 4 Pittsburgh

I think Boston will beat Carolina in a 7-game series, and I think Jose Theodore lets the Caps down in the 2nd round vs. Pittsburgh.

In the west:

1 San Jose vs. 7 Columbus: 1 San Jose
4 Chicago vs. 6 St. Louis: 4 Chicago

San Jose is really good and I don't see Columbus beating them, and I think Chicago takes care of business vs. a young St. Louis team.

Conference Finals:

1 Boston vs. 4 Pittsburgh: 1 Boston

Boston is too well-rounded, too experienced, too good in goal for Pittsburgh. This will be another great series.

1 San Jose vs. 4 Chicago: 1 San Jose

San Jose, like Boston, is too good. I think they win this and go on to play the Bruins in a cross-country battle.

Stanley Cup Finals:

1 Boston vs. 1 San Jose: 1 San Jose

I think San Jose will win...the West is the better conference this season and I think San Jose is the better all-around team.

No comments: