Monday, December 22, 2008

Power Rankings: Week 16

Remember what I said last week about ranking 1-5? Try doing it this week. There's only one good conclusion in my mind, and that is ...

1. Indianapolis Colts (2; +1): Go ahead, make your arguments for the Giants. Go ahead, make your arguments for the Titans. I don't care. Nobody in the NFL is as hot as this team, and I don't care how much they're winning by. Nobody else in the NFL has Peyton Manning on their team, either.
2. Tennessee Titans (4; +2): Well, that was certainly a statement without two of their top defensive linemen. I'm surprised Kerry Collins had as much time to throw all game as he did. 
3. New York Giants (5; +2): That's what happens when Brandon Jacobs is back in the lineup. Home field throughout is theirs, and they again look like the team to beat in the NFC. 
4. Carolina Panthers (3; -1): There is absolutely nothing wrong with that loss. They took New York into overtime on the day the Giants got Jacobs back. The Panthers showed they can on even the stoutest of defenses.
5. Pittsburgh Steelers (1; -4): I have no qualms about dropping them back to number 5. After all, they did lose to numbers 1-3. There offense dug itself in a big enough hole so that there couldn't be any late-game heroics from Ben.
6. Baltimore Ravens (6; 0): Every Ravens fan is already looking ahead to attempting vengeance in Tennessee after the phantom roughing the passer penalty gave Tennessee the victory in Baltimore. 
7. Miami Dolphins (7; 0): That was about as predictable as they come. Now, it's time for the 1-15 Dolphins to come full circle this season and make the playoffs.
8. New England Patriots (8; 0): You have to feel bad for the Patriots, and especially Matt Cassel. I mean, the guy had to replace Tom Brady. He did brilliantly, too, and could guide the Pats to an 11-5 record. At 11-5, they probably won't even make the playoffs, though. 
9. Atlanta Falcons (12; +3): The Falcons could get a first round bye this year? Good Lord, just give Mike Smith the Coach of the Year award already. 
10. Minnesota Vikings (10; 0): The Vikings fumbled the ball seven times and lost four of them. Meanwhile, Matt Ryan fumbles the ball and the Falcons recover it for a touchdown. Both of those things usually won't happen in games, which is why I see no reason to demote Minnesota. 
11. Dallas Cowboys (9; -2): Amazingly, the Cowboys still control their own destiny to get into the playoffs. If they do get in, they'll probably be able to beat Minnesota. Will anyone be scared of them after that, though?
12. Chicago Bears (15; +3): I know I'm going to have to change this if the Bears lose tonight to Green Bay. I think they won't though. I also think that I would like to see what Kyle Orton does in the playoffs. I know it's a long shot, but still.
13. Philadelphia Eagles (11; -2): You. Can't. Do. That. I know, I know, divisional opponent and all that, but you just can't lose that game when you're pushing to the playoffs. A lot has to go right now.
14. San Diego Chargers (20; +6): And here come the Chargers, roaring six spots ahead to number 14. When they beat Denver this week, they will have won four in a row. They will be the most dangers 8-8 team ever.
15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (13; -2): My, how the mighty have fallen. All of a sudden, it's an uphill climb just to the playoffs. Their defense looks older and older every week.
16. New York Jets (14; -2): Skip Bayless, you are the single worst ESPN personality there is. Please, please try and find something positive to say about Brett Favre today. 
17. Buffalo Bills (22; +5): I'm impressed with Buffalo, and I rewarded them appropriately. The season ended for them a few weeks ago, but they've turned some things around and are fighting hard. It's good to see that.
18. Denver Broncos (17; -1): Ed Hochuli gets sweet justice this week. 
19. New Orleans Saints (19; 0): Drew Brees deserves a better team around him. And no, I don't care they just won by 40+ to the Lions. 
20. Arizona Cardinals (16; -4): If they come within 10 points of the Falcons or Panthers (whoever they play in the first round), I will be as shocked as the rest of the world.
21. Washington Redskins (21; 0): Do I reward them for a win against the Eagles? No, because they lost to the Bengals the week before, and I know that Philadelphia has an affinity for choking. 
22. Houston Texans (18; -4): How differently would the season have played out had Hurricane Ike not struck them? I don't have an answer.
23. San Francisco 49ers (23; 0): I'm already predicting an open quarterback competition between Shaun Hill and Kyle Boller next year. 
24. Jacksonville Jaguars (24; 0): They could play the spoiler by showing up to one final game in Baltimore next week. It looked like they gave the Colts all they had, though, so I doubt they will.
25. Green Bay Packers (25; 0): They're going to have a high enough draft pick so that they can get an elite defensive player in the first round. They need one.
26. Seattle Seahawks (28; +2): Congratulations to the Seahawks for winning one final home game for Mike Holmgren. I just wonder what Holmgren had to say to Favre after the game.
27. Oakland Raiders (29; +2): Well look at you, Oakland. You beat the Texans after being positively annihilated by the Patriots the week before. Maybe you do have some pride in you.
28. Kansas City Chiefs (27; -1): I don't want Herm Edwards to be gone. I think he's a good coach, and his players are still playing for him. They're just too young to know how to win.
29. Cincinnati Bengals (30; +1): Will Cedric Benson be the Bengals' starting halfback in 2009? I'm not really sure, but it looks like he wants to be.
30. Cleveland Browns (26; -4): No offensive touchdowns in four straight games. Shut out by the Bengals at home. Cleveland, it's looking really bad right now.
31. St. Louis Rams (31; 0): I would move the Rams up to 30 for competing in two straight games, but I can't stop staring at that point differential number.
32. Detroit Lions (32; 0): One more week until my prediction I made way back in October comes true.

Division Rankings: I hate the AFC East. I think it's the most overrated group of teams in the NFL. So, how did they become tied for second in my power rankings? I have no idea, I just did the math.
1. NFC South (average rank: 11.75)
2. NFC East (12.00)
2. AFC East (12.00)
4. AFC South (12.25)
5. AFC North (17.50)
6. NFC North (19.75)
7. AFC West (21.75)
8. NFC West (25.00)

No comments: