Monday, October 20, 2008

NFL Power Rankings: Week 7

FAQ: "Why do you not do these on Tuesday, after the Monday night game, so you have a full week to work with?" All other power rankings come out on Tuesday. I'm just doing you a favor and giving you something to read about the NFL on Monday. 

1. Tennessee Titans (last week: 1; change: 0): I feel smart for having them above the Giants when few did last week before the Monday night game.
2. New York Giants (2; 0): They ran into a desperate Cleveland team and lost, then beat the 49ers in a terrible game. They're still the second best team in the league.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers (3; 0): They're impressive.
4. Buffalo Bills (5; +1): They proved they should be up here with a solid all-around game vs. San Diego
5. Washington Redskins (4; -1): I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying Cleveland may be decent.
6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7; +1): I'd talk about the Bucs' game, but from what I heard it was about as good as watching the Lions-Texans game.
7. Carolina Panthers (9; +2): They could be higher. But I'm still not sold on their consistency
8. Green Bay Packers (16; +8): They proved a lot this week, destroying a Colts team that many (including myself) thought was back on track.
9. Atlanta Falcons (10; +1): A product of some upper teams falling.
10. Arizona Cardinals (11; +1): A product of some upper teams falling
11. Chicago Bears (19; +8): I'm finally sold on Kyle Orton. And I think the defense is better than it's playing.
12. Philadelphia Eagles (13; +1): Who would have thought that a game at Seattle next week would become a game they should - and really need to - win?
13. Jacksonville Jaguars (14; +1): They need to beat Cincinnati to stay within distance of the Titans. Right now they're one of the many teams in the AFC at 3-3, which would be good enough for a wild card spot.
14. Denver Broncos (18; +4): They moved up leading up to their Monday game because everyone around them is plummeting.
15. Indianapolis Colts (16; -9): My big drop of the week. I didn't think they were as good as I had them last week, but they looked so good in destroying the Ravens. They're becoming as inconsistent as the Chargers. 
16. Dallas Cowboys (8; -8): I had enough. They're 4-3, losing 3 of their past 4. Once they start winning again, I'll recognize all the talent they have.
17. San Diego Chargers (12; -5): If they were going to get it together this year, it would have been by now. That includes getting a win against a good team in Buffalo. I'm just not sold.
18. Baltimore Ravens (22; -4): I wanted to put them higher, but I can't move them above the Colts. Right now I think every team above them would win on a neutral field. A season-saving victory against the Dolphins, however.
19. New England Patriots (21; +2): They move up two because the next three teams were so terrible this week.
20. New Orleans Saints (17, -3): I at least thought they would put up a fight against the Panthers
21. New York Jets (15, -6): They had a chance to get a leg up and go 4-2. Then they lost to the Raiders.
22. Miami Dolphins (20; -2): Not this year. Again.
23. Minnesota Vikings (23; 0): I wanted to move them down because they put up 41 points in a game and lost. But I can't reward the Rams that highly because of the past few years of ineptitude.
24. St. Louis Rams (30; +6): They beat a Redskins team in a classic trap game and a Dallas team in shambles. If they win on the road in New England next week, they will skyrocket. 
25. Oakland Raiders (28; +3): Sebastian Janikowski. What a man.
26. Cleveland Browns (27; +1): Since last time, they beat the Giants and lost a close game to the Redskins. Derek Anderson is still their quarterback, though.
27. Houston Texans (24; -3): Now I'm getting like the BCS. They beat the Lions, but because it was the Lions in a close game, I move them down 3. I don't like it either. Look, though. The Rams beat the Cowboys soundly, the Raiders beat the Jets, and the Browns beat the Giants. Much more impressive than squeaking by the Lions.
28. San Francisco 49ers (25; -3): The Giants were incompetent and San Francisco still managed to lose. They're good at that.
29. Seattle Seahawks (28; -3): No ifs, ands, ors, or buts. They're terrible.
30. Kansas City Chiefs (29; -1): I think how Tony Gonzalez handled the situation was terrible. But can you blame him?
31. Cincinnati Bengals (31; 0): I really was tempted to move them down into the cellar this week. However, ...
32. Detroit Lions (32; 0): The Lions have a decent chance at 0-16. 

Division Rankings: No big change from last week, except the NFC North, which leapfrogged from 7th to 5th due to big rises from the Bears and the Packers.
1. NFC East (Average Rank: 8.75)
2. NFC South (10.5)
3. AFC South (14.0)
4. AFC East (16.5)
5. NFC North (18.5)
6. AFC North (19.5)
7. AFC West (21.5)
8. NFC West (22.75) 

10 comments:

John Kline said...

Philly doesn't play Seattle until Week 9.

Their week 8 opponent is Atlanta at home.

John Kline said...

Also, I think Houston will challenge for a playoff spot before its all said and done. Very easy stretch of schedule right now.

Unknown said...

Houston I'm just not sure about. I don't think they're on Indy or Jacksonville's level yet..but close. Mario Williams is developing into a stud DE and Andrew Johnson is one of the best WRs in the game. It'll be interesting to see how they do the rest of the way.

John Kline said...

I don't know who Andrew Johnson is.

Anonymous said...

the titans may be the worst 6-0 team in history, the ravens got cheated out of a win against them, and their offense is not good. their d is outstanding however, and it seems like they're the only team in the league that has not played down to their opponents. almost every team has had a disappointed loss and it's amazing how many teams are underachieving.

Tony Herman said...

Thank you for the correction Kline. And no, no Houston will not. Andre Johnson is what I believe my co-host means.

Tejada, how can you say that? As a loyal Ravens fan, you know as well as anyone that to be great in the NFL you just need really good running and a great D. They have both. In any case, I'm assuming you agree they should be number one?

Unknown said...

Oops - Andre Johnson, my mistake.

The only thing holding the Titans back is their QB. Can Kerry Collins lead them to the promised land? He's managed games well so far and they have a great running game (Chris Johnson + Lendale White) to add to their stellar D. They're legit in my opinion.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

yes, they should be number 1. but their running game isn't that stellar, sure they shredded the powerful Kansas City D, but I'm just not convinced. and look at the teams they've played. Jacksonville, Cincinnati, Houston, Minnesota, the Ravens and KC. the combined record of all those teams is 12-26. when they beat some real competition then i will be impressed.

Unknown said...

I think it's fair to say that the Titans haven't beaten anyone good, but regardless they've destroyed the bad teams they've played (minus the Ravens, who are 3-3). They beat Cincy 24-7, Houston 31-12, and KC 34-10. They're going to be tested in the coming weeks, so we'll see how they respond. I think they're for real.