Monday, October 13, 2008

NFL Power Rankings: Week 6

FAQ: "Why did you not have these until week 6?" It is too early at that point to tell who is for real, and who is for not.
"Is this based off a number system?" No, and I won't use "well I didn't really do anything, the numbers told me" as an excuse.
"You're an idiot. How could you?" Leave a comment and I'll tell you.
And with that (with selected comments) ...

1. Titans: I have the Titans as my number one for two reasons. First, they have a better defense than the Giants. Second, their turnover differential is tops in the NFL. That wins you games.
2. Giants
3. Steelers: The Steelers have managed to win some brutal games against rivals without some of their best players. When they get them back, they will be even better.
4. Redskins: I, wish a few others, saw this Redskins loss coming. The Rams had everything to play for; the Redskins had nothing. It does not differ my opinion of them. Look for them to rebound next game.
5. Bills
6. Colts: Perhaps I shouldn't be so high on the Colts - after all, they dismantle the Ravens every year. Peyton Manning sure did look good, though.
7. Buccaneers: I love the NFC South. The Falcons impress me every week. Got a tough victory at home this week after a huge victory at Lambeau last week. The Bucs' only two losses have come on the road against the Saints and at Denver. The Falcons have a solid team, top to bottom. The Saints are a little low, but the game against the Vikings left a bad taste in my mouth. You have to win a game like that.
8. Cowboys: Never thought I would have the Cowboys as low as 8. T.O. is beginning to be a problem. It will only get worse.
9. Panthers
10. Falcons
11. Cardinals
12. Chargers
13. Eagles: A huge week for the Eagles as they get a victory combined with a Dallas and Washington loss.
14. Jaguars
15. Jets: If Thomas Jones can perform like that all the time, this team will be hard to stop.
16. Packers
17. Saints
18. Broncos: The Broncos are leading their division at number 18, while the Chargers are sitting behind them, occupying my 12 spot. Does it make sense? I'm not sure. But the Chargers start slow every year, and they dismantled New England last night. Denver is turnover-prone. And let's face it - defend him as I may - who knows what would have happened when they played each other were it not for Ed Hochuli?
19. Bears
20. Dolphins: The Dolphins would be so much higher if they beat Houston.
21. Patriots: Yea, the Patriots. Matt Cassel can't throw the deep ball, which is the only route Randy Moss is willing to run. Their defense is showing signs of aging and a thin secondary. Nothing convinces me this is a playoff team.
22. Ravens: Ouch. Well, at least there's no talk of poor clock management. 
23. Vikings: I don't look fondly towards you when you struggle with the Lions.
24. Texans
25. 49ers
26. Seahawks: The biggest shocker of the entire year for me. You can only carry the injury excuse so far. 
27. Browns
28. Raiders
29. Chiefs
30. Rams
31. Bengals: Ryan Fitzpatrick is the Bengals' quarterback right now, so I pity them. 
32. Lions: And there is the fact that the Lions are the definition of ineptitude. 

For those, who are curious, division rankings (and these, I did just do the math):
1. NFC East (Average Ranking = 6.75)
2. NFC South (10.75)
3. AFC South (11.25)
4. AFC East (15.25)
5. AFC North (20.75)
6. AFC West (21.75)
7. NFC North (22.5)
8. NFC West (23.0)

2 comments:

John Kline said...

I like the Bucs high ranking.

My only fear with them is that Gruden will get QB ADD and bench Garcia the second he has a turnover. He is clearly the best QB on that team.

Dallas is turning into the worst team in the NFC East. Wade Phillips is gone after this season, no matter what happens.

Herman,

Do a weekly ranking of your top 5 MVP candidates and top 5 least valuable player candidates.

Tony Herman said...

Nobody knows what Gruden's deal with benching Garcia was in the first place. The guy wins every year, it's truly remarkable.

Wade Phillips doesn't deserve to stay. He has more talent than anyone else in football, and they will lose in the playoffs again.

And I will start the MVP/LVP on Tuesday.