Monday, November 3, 2008

Power Rankings: Week 9

I broke my cardinal rule. I revised my rankings for what happened on Monday. That game was so pitiful for Washington that I had to do it. 

1. Tennessee Titans (1; 0): They're the best. Any questions?
2. New York Giants (2; 0): You just have to smile after how hard they smacked down the Cowboys. What a prolific running game.
3. Carolina Panthers (3; 0): They have a great chance to be 8-2 with their next games against Oakland and Detroit. 
4. Philadelphia Eagles (10; +6): With the Bucs not playing well and the Cowboys dropping off, you have to like their playoff chances.
5. Pittsburgh Steelers (5; 0): Can they hear the Ravens knocking?
6. Arizona Cardinals (12; +6): Not only are the Cardinals going to go to the playoffs, they may actually do some damage.
7. Atlanta Falcons (13; +6): If it's not already, the Ryan-Turner-White trio will be on of the league's best in years to come.
8. Washington Redskins (4; -4): I said I wouldn't drop them too much even if they lost last night. I lied. They looked positively pathetic, and proved that you can beat them if you take away the run. 
9. New England Patriots (9; 0): They missed a good opportunity to get a leg up in their division. 
10. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7; -3): I'm getting fed up with how the Bucs are playing. They lost to a Cowboys team that clearly has not gotten its act together, and then it took them overtime to beat the lowly Chiefs.
11. Green Bay Packers (8; -3): I feel bad dropping them three after playing the Titans so tough, but what can you do?
12. Baltimore Ravens (16; +4): A season-defining victory against the Browns. It's amazing that a team projected by many to be around 3-13 is a few breaks away from being 7-1 at this point.
13. New York Jets (21; +8): My big move up for the week. They're not pretty by any means, but they keep winning, and I suppose it's time that I reward them.
14. Buffalo Bills (6; -8): My big move down of the week. I gave them a sort of mulligan after the Dolphins game, but no more. They need to beat their divisional opponents.
15. Chicago Bears (11; -4): I dropped them four after a win. It's a combination of them struggling with the Lions and me not having faith in Rex Grossman as a human being.
16. Indianapolis Colts (15; -1): At 4-4, they can breathe again. In the long run, though, I don't see them any better than their position here: right in the middle of things.
17. New Orleans Saints (18; +1): I'm not sure they will make it, but I wouldn't want to face them in the playoffs.
18. Dallas Cowboys (14; -4): I look around at all my favorite sports sites last Tuesday, and I'm seeing the Cowboys as high as number 6. "Am I way off or are they way off?" I say to myself. Now I sit here and grin.
19. Miami Dolphins (22; +3): The Dolphins are in the thick of it in the AFC. They've beaten some good teams. They need to learn to play consistently now.
20. Minnesota Vikings (25; +5): That was an impressive victory over a hot Houston team. 
21. Denver Broncos (19; -2): It's scary that this team actually leads a division.
22. San Diego Chargers (20; -2): The more I think about it, the less I'm convinced they will make their annual late-season charge.
23. Cleveland Browns (23; 0): I hope they brought their A-game on Sunday. That would make the Ravens' victory that much more impressive.
24. Jacksonville Jaguars (17; -7): This is a team I've given up on. There is no excuse for losing to Cincinnati.
25. Houston Texans (24; -1): Their offense is impressive. They need more defense to be taken seriously in the AFC, though.
26. St. Louis Rams (26; 0): The Cinderella story is dead.
27. Seattle Seahawks (28; +1): I moved them up one despite the fact they got murdered at home by the Eagles. The Raiders were that terrible.
28. San Francisco 49ers (29; +1): Is it me or are there more terrible teams than ever in the NFL this year? I mean the 49ers aren't even in my bottom 4. That's scary.
29. Oakland Raiders (27; -2): JaMarcus Russell - because I complimented him last week - had 31 yards passing. Atlanta out-gained them 453-77.
30. Cincinnati Bengals (31; +1): I felt obligated to move them up one for their victory.
31. Kansas City Chiefs (30; -1): I'm stunned that they managed to lose that game. Floored, in fact.
32. Detroit Lions (32; 0): I'm stunned they managed to lose that ga - wait, no I'm not. 

Division Rankings: The AFC East charged into the top 3 this week, but other than that, no changes. The margins all widened a bit.
1. NFC East (average rank: 8.00)
2. NFC South (9.25)
3. AFC East (13.75)
4. AFC South (16.50)
5. AFC North (17.50)
6. NFC North (19.50)
7. NFC West (21.75)
8. AFC West (25.75)

5 comments:

Falco said...

It is amazing that with all the personnel the Steelers can lose, they still make on of the best teams in the NFC look like a JV high school team. My beloved Ravens may be catching up, but I still believe the Steelers win this division.

Anonymous said...

tony will you finally believe in john harbaugh and flacco? we are rolling

Tony Herman said...

Tejada, let me see them beat a good team. I love them, you know I do, but they're just not as accomplished as the teams above them.

Anonymous said...

but you were saying how this was no different from last year. last year we would be like 2-6 at this point

Tony Herman said...

I never thought we would be better than last year. Last year we would be like 27 in the power rankings. Trust me, if we keep winning, we will go up.