Thursday, May 7, 2009

Really Manny? Really?

I'm going to keep this short, because, frankly, there's not much information out about it yet. All we know so far is that Manny Ramirez (pictured left after hitting his 500th home run) has been suspended for 50 games by MLB for violating the league's drug policy. In a recently released statement from Ramirez, he claims that the drug in question was prescribed to him by a doctor for a personal health issue. Although not a steroid, the drug was banned by Major League Baseball.

This makes me sad. I had a post a while back about how bad A-Rod's steroid use was for the game of baseball. This is just another blow. It may end up being just the one isolated incident, taking the wrong drug for the right reasons, and maybe that will blow over. But do you actually have any faith that that's what it is? In any case, his name is no longer clean. Which great hitters in baseball still are? Albert Pujols? Ryan Howard? I guess there are still a good handful, but it's just sad to see one of the great hitters in baseball history veer off the straight and narrow. 

Don't get me wrong. I think Manny is a goon. I definitely don't think he's a saint, and I think that what he did with Boston last year was just plain wrong. I'm just saying for the game in general, it hurts. 

(Photo Credit: www.babble.com)

No comments: