Monday, May 18, 2009

James Harrison, You Astound Me

Don't worry, it's going to go into the "explosive comments" section soon, but what James Harrison (pictured, left) said the other day has stupefied me enough so that I'm going to write a post on it. So, if you haven't heard it, here it is ...

So, James, rumor has it you're not going with your fellow Steelers to the White House. Why?
"If you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl. So, as far as I'm concerned, he would have invited Arizona if they had won, so, I mean, maybe in the next four or five years, maybe year six when we don't win it I guess, I mean we're probably going to try to run for four or five years, get 10 or 11 rings ... no, but really, I don't feel the need to actually go, I don't feel like it's that big a deal to me."



... 
...
...
...
...

Are you serious right now? The man is refusing to go visit the President of the United States because he feels he deserves a special invitation. Winning the Super Bowl wasn't enough; he thinks the Steelers deserve special treatment. HE'S NOT GOING TO SEE THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES BECAUSE OBAMA WOULD HAVE INVITED ARIZONA IF THEY WON. 

You know, there are a lot of socially conscious professional athletes in all sports, so I'm not going to throw NFL players in general under the bus ... but come on. This is astounding. This is immature. This is pompous. This is just plain stupid.

And it's sad, because I respected Harrison a lot - until the Super Bowl. Then, there was the footage of him sucker punching a Cardinals player who was already on the ground. Now, this. I'm a Ravens fan first, but a football fan in general as a close second, so this makes me angry, because it reflects poorly upon the NFL. Very, very poorly. 

(Photo Credit: www.postchronicle.com)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Steelers fans know that James Harrison is far from the sharpest tool in the shed...there's a reason he's never interviewed as much as Ben, Troy, or Hines. This whole deal just makes me shake my head.